Flemington Carrier Annex, Flemington, NJ
United States Postal Service
To meet the demands of a rapidly growing suburban demographic, the Postal Service would need the new Flemington-Raritan Township Carrier Annex to be a durable, energy-efficient facility. While many similar postal facilities lean towards the industrial, almost warehouse aesthetic; CTS took a high-level design approach, which is much more in context with the pleasant Flemington-Raritan Township setting. Completed in 2009, the Annex has exceeded the Postal Services expectations, not only in the way the building functions, but in the positive impression it makes on both postal employees and customers.
Relevant Project Data:
- The facility is approximately 12,000 SF.
- The exterior envelope is constructed of an innovative single-wythe insulated concrete masonry unit yielding an R-Factor of 20, a light-gage metal roof truss structure, and a standing seam metal roof.
- CTS construction cost estimate (performed in-house) was less than 1% over the successful bidder’s proposal.
Sustainable Design Notes:
- The building was designed to exceed ASHRAE 90.1 2004 by at least 20%.
- The translucent glazing material in the windows off the production spaces within the facility are designed to disperse natural light throughout the work areas, reducing the need for artificial lighting on the perimeter.